General Guidelines This hour of readings will include works inspired/informed by the themes of Continuum and/or by the breath, sound and movement explorations of Continuum. Works will reflect that the contributor has dwelled in the practice of Continuum over time, bringing artistic integrity, depth, coherence, and potency to the work.
Specific Guidelines For This Event, Tuesday, October 28, 2014, 6-7 pm
- Continuum Movement Arts welcomes submissions of Written Word Art, inspired and/or informed by Continuum.
- For Poetry readings – up to 5 minutes in length
- For Book readings – up to 10 minutes in length
- Readings will take place in the main studio at Moving Body Resources. There is no microphone.
- For consideration, please submit the following, by email only to email@example.com no later than August 1, 2014. Continuum Movement Arts will respond by September 15, 2014.
- Attachment (Word or PDF) containing full poem(s), or book excerpts. Be sure that each page is labeled with your name and title of the work. For attachments, use file name formatted with your last name and title of poem or book (e.g., name_title.doc).
- Include in your email a list of titles of poem(s) and/or book excerpts to be read, and approx. length of each (in minutes). Include the following:
- Biographical statement: 50 – 75 words
- Statement about how Continuum has informed your artistic expression: 50 – 75 words
- A brief statement describing your involvement with Continuum Movement, including length of time, teachers, frequency of practice, and any other factors you would like us to know.
- If you are not a Continuum teacher, please list a Continuum teacher as a reference.
- If you wish to display your written poetry please also submit a proposal following the CALL FOR VISUAL ART guidelines and note the guidelines carefully.
- If you wish to have books on display and/or for sale during the exhibition week please understand that all sales are directly between you and the buyer. A small table for book display will be made available.
- Regarding displayed materials of any kind: All accepted contributors are responsible for bringing in and picking up their materials during the specific hours listed below.
- Books for display arrival time – Sunday, October 26, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- Books for display pick up time – Sunday, November 2, 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM If you are not able to arrive and depart at these times, you must find someone who can do this for you. Please understand that this is the only way we can exhibit in this particular space. Contributors are also responsible for unpacking/repacking and storing their own packing materials during the week. (This is due to the multi-use nature of the exhibition space, very limited storage facilities, security concerns and the schedules of the volunteer show curators. Works cannot be mailed or shipped to Moving Body Resources.)
- Further Note: Moving Body Resources is locked during evening hours and open during the day with people entering for workshops and private sessions via an outdoor buzzer controlled from within the studio for entrance. Although there has never been a breach of security regarding any artwork displayed at Moving Body Resources, Continuum Movement Arts wants you to understand the display circumstances. Moving Body Resources and Continuum Movement Arts are not able to assume financial responsibility for damage or loss of artwork.
- If you make your books available for sale, we respectfully request that you consider donating a percentage of the proceeds to Continuum Movement Arts. Continuum Movement Arts is currently entirely self-funded by the Curator, and any support is welcome. Continuum Movement Arts will soon have a not-for-profit organization to serve as fiscal sponsor, making donations tax deductible.
- Exhibited works will be displayed with your submitted bio and statement (see above).
- All submissions to this CALL FOR ART – The Written Word will also be considered for the Continuum Movement Arts website virtual exhibition space.
Click here to download a PDF of these guidelines. Please direct all communications to Elaine Colandrea, Continuum Movement Arts Curator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest in making an arts movement out of Continuum-inspired art!
Poetry & Book Readings Inspired
by Continuum Movement
During the Opening of a
Continuum-Inspired Visual Art Exhibit
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
Exhibit Opening: 5:30 PM -7:30 PM
with Readings: 6 PM – 7 PM
At Moving Body Resources
12 West 27th St, 4th floor
NY, NY 10001
Visual Art Exhibit Runs
Monday, October 27,
through Sunday, November 2